Supervisor, Parks and Recreation Operations
(Job Number 164)
Working within our Strategic Plan of People, Place, and Prosperity, and committing to our values of Integrity, Respect, Inclusiveness and Service, the successful candidate will work together to make the City of Cambridge a place for people to prosper – alive with opportunity.
We are looking for a Supervisor, Parks and Recreation Operations within the Community Development Department, Parks, Recreation & Culture Division. Reporting to the Manager of Parks & Recreation Operations the Supervisor, Parks and Recreation Operations is responsible for the leadership and day to day operation of various properties and facilities within a defined geographic area in the City. Supervises and schedules Parks and Recreation Operations work crews and arranges for proper training of staff in the maintenance of Parks, Arenas, buildings, equipment, change and washroom facilities, sports fields, picnic areas and playground equipment, in a designated district of the City. This position oversees arena facilities with banquet halls and meeting rooms, determines the work to be done, assigns maintenance work, makes purchases and arranges for repairs, as well as, provides input to the capital and operating budget process and monitors expenditures and revenues within the area of responsibility. You will be responsible for staff training, development, recruitment and discipline for all unionized full time, part time and seasonal employees within area of responsibility. Additionally, this position ensures compliance with technical regulations and legislations i.e: Technical Standards Safety Association, Board of Health Regulations, Electrical Safety Authority, Building Code, Canadian Standards Association Playgrounds Standards, Accessibility Standards, Ministry of Environment requirements, etc. In this position you will assure compliance and documentation as applicable to regulations and standard operating procedures, as well as take the leading role in development, training and implementation of new and existing Standard Operating Procedures and responsible for quality control.
- Two year college diploma in Parks Management, Horticulture, Recreation Facility Management, Recreation Leadership, Business and/or Leadership Development (or equivalent).
- Professional certification in Certified Ice Technician and Playground Practitioner.
- Minimum of three years prior related experience with one and one half years on the job experience in Buildings, Facilities, Arenas, Parks, Special Events and Emergency & Risk Management.
- Must be able to respond independently to complex issues involving customer issues, employee relations, and operational issues on a regular continuous basis.
- Sound knowledge of Parks and Arena Operations Equipment and Facilities. Advanced knowledge of equipment operation to establish training and qualifications for operators within the Parks & Recreation Operations Division. Control daily expenditures for operational efficiency decisions.
- Strong computer skills in MS Office and experience working with ERP and work management systems (i.e. SAP)
- Valid Class G driver’s license with access to a vehicle.
This position is within Grade 4 of the Non-Union Salary Schedule and has an annual salary range of $71,560 to $87,268, based on working 35 hours per week. We offer a comprehensive benefit package and are an Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) employer.
For more information and to apply for this position, please visit www.cambridge.ca/careers by 7:00 pm on Friday, September 22, 2017.
If you require support or accommodation due to a disability, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-740- 4680, extension 4379.
Personal information in relation to the recruitment and hiring process is collected under the authority outlined in the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. This information will be used to determine eligibility for employment with the City of Cambridge only. If you have any questions about this collection of personal information, you can contact the Freedom of Information and Privacy Co-ordinator, Clerks Division, at 519-740-4680, extension 4583.